Monday, April 06, 2009

Sometimes He Picks Up Something With His Forepaw

The groundhog made his appearance in the neighbor's backyard today. He is rotund and confident! That was my impression. You know what he was doing? Eating. That's what he does. He eats. And I found myself - though I admire the cut of his jib! It is admirable, his jib, the cut of it - thinking, I wish he would do something else. Like what? I don't know. What is this, groundhog backlash? I should remind myself of how anxious I felt when he vanished for days. Yes, all he does is eat. So what? Sometimes he picks up something and holds it in his forepaw and sort of mulls it over before he eats it. That's what we call excitement in the world of groundhog observation. He didn't do that today. But don't worry, groundhog! I'm not going to start taking you for granted.